Monday, November 5, 2012

There are only two pure things in this world. Even those can birth misery and shame, but as a side effect or wrong choice, not of themselves.
The love a parent has the privilege of knowing, and art. Being a father taught me more, in a short amount of time, than anything else ever has, or will. The span of a child will test you, from crying for no reason, terrible twos, to apathetic teenagers, you will love them even in the most trying times.
Being an artist, shows you how huge the world can be, and how tiny it really is all at once, yet it allows you to make it bigger, by creating something that didn't exist before you started. It's never mastered, if you're content with where you are, then you've lost the joy of a challenge. If you look at where you are, and it's where you wanted to be a year ago, then you're a success; however, even in that moment, you're planning where you'll be in a year. You find yourself amongst the greatest people on earth, and you're drawn to one another to gather and share the wonder of creativity and imagination. Dreamers have the distinct honor of seeing that things can and will get better.
Shame. You don't get to be where I am in life without the burden of shame, and yet the point of it all is to shed the ideals of a past generation, and move forward as a person freed of the distraction of societies view. The more one is scrutinized, the less they (should) care. Shame builds cities, and societies, it guides the hands of the weak, to obey something they see as stronger than them. I can't go to the grocery store without being judged, which is two-fold in itself... I'm aware I don't look like you, I'm aware you may not accept that. It is not my problem, it is my right, to be who I want to be. People are usually kind and curious, but some get angry the second they see you. That's not my problem, I am kind and well-spoken in public, it becomes my problem when they choose to become irrational, and it's ultimately their social taboo, their unkindness that causes bad situations. I can accept whispers, glances, and a bit of ridicule, but move on, accept that you can't change me or my mind... Believe me I was the first in line to judge me, so you can't, in five seconds make a better judgment call on how I should live my life, because I'm the one stuck with it everyday. So, I try to be respectfully shameless, I am strange, but I respect that it was my choice to become what I am, and you may not accept it so easily.
Love. In the past few years I've learned not to externalize my belief in love. The way I feel for you, is never going to be the way you feel for me. A decision is made here: to either show my love, no matter how it's received, it should never factor on how the person will receive it, but that you gave it. Which leads to a lot of hurt, until you let go, and feel love, without our tendency to want a return on that love. It's completely up to the other person, to accept, reject, or return that notion. The second option is to quietly love, harder still to capture and accept... To know that you may not have the ability to improve someone's life, with your companionship, but to still see that their life grows in a positive direction, even if you are having to sit back quietly and watch, and nurture. To allow them the freedom to make the choice to not be with you, but to still wish them the best possible life.
Jealousy leads to the ugliest side we can show of ourselves. It's not ones actions, but how we react to those actions, that determine what you will have gained from knowing that person. We are all unique, and cannot please everyone, all the time, not even ourselves. When jealousy is introduced into a situation where someone is attempting to better themselves, no one gains anything. It's easy to be jealous of something; it's mature to commend it, appreciate it... And then if it's something you want to attain that badly, find your healthy way of attaining it. Do not take it from them, because they got it first... Earn it, only then will you appreciate it.
In situations with loved ones, double-back to the idea of putting love out there, no matter what is returned and feelings of jealousy will dissolve; be patient.
If I could stress nothing else in life, I'd say have patience. Given my anxiety, I have to wait, and spend entire days, not feeling well. But to accept this, and allow this time to pass, you grow a new understanding of being patient. Everyone is always somewhere else in their head, being a photographer and performer, I had a special relationship with seeing how people are either never in the moment, or oblivious to the great things right in front of them. It's easy to lose grip on something magical, but that's what makes it worth holding onto in the first place. Being behind a lens, it's easy to be so caught up in capturing a moment, that you lose it entirely on a personal level. You go to a concert and film with your phone, then share it on your social network of choice, all to prove you were somewhere amazing, yet you're tied to this tiny glowing screen while something amazing is happening right in front of you. Thats a bit askew of the original point, but I didn't have the patience to finish that thought I suppose.
Overall quality of life really breaks down to these separate ideas and how you choose to handle them. I'm a huge supporter of living life to the fullest, but I also know that some days it just rains. We can dance in the rain, and embrace the chaos surrounding us, or we can break down in our lack of control over our world. I stopped typing a moment ago because the pain in my chest is so severe I couldn't handle it, but I know it's just anxiety, and it too will pass. In stopping, it worsened, while if I just type and forget about everything else, I'll find myself transported to a better place.
And who am I to give insight to anyone? I'm trapped in a dark room with chest pains currently... But I won't always be. Most won't get anything from what I type, instead they will either learn the hard and painful way, or be reflecting on how they arrived at a similar outlook. Just remember that change and growth are always possible, you'll want to forget this in the darkest hours, but those are when you should be clinging to it the tightest. Always love, because hate is just a waste of time. And when people hate you for feeling that way, let them, or they're wasting your time. Find passion, if it's on a microphone, a pen, or a brush... Find something to take you on a journey, always learn from it, and always share it.

No comments:

Post a Comment