Saturday, January 26, 2013

In my years, the lines begin to blur, between spirituality, music and art. They all feed from a central energy. I think I've learned to respect creativity as a blessing, and to offer up what is held inside of me, dark or glorious, sometimes both in one. I bless my studio space regularly with cedar, sage and incense. It has to be a space of peace, one that can flow; where I can plug in at whim and capture what's in the air in that moment.
When the juices just aren't there for music, I try to write, as I am now, about life in general, or to plan, something I've really just learned to do over the past year. Sit back and breath, make an outline, or birth an idea. The same as my spiritual hypothesis were formed, I pluck inspiration from the same tree for music. Some people may question how I can be so fervent about music that currently has so much instrumentals, but often those speak to me more than any utterance a throat could form.
I plan on having some consciously expanded sessions, sitting with instruments I'm less than comfortable with, and just playing, until I find phrases worth recording. Letting the music speak in a more natural flow, less structure, less programmed and more ethereal. And then of course, chopping it into tiny slices, flipping it upside down and laughing at it.
There's not a moral here, I hope you weren't looking for one, it's really just me decompressing and planning some free sessions to take the next album sideways, from things expected from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment