Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Mutter.

"Don't hug people in public." this sounds odd, but in structure, makes sense. So we attempt to find a quick route to meaning and explanation. While the shortness of this sentence is not worth the dissection of it's whole parts, it was muttered from someone who suffers from mental illness. Strange things said in pairing, or spoken from nowhere and having no resolution or explanation, show signs of illness. My mother is sick, we've already taken her to the hospital, the psych ward, and this is what has returned to us.
As family, we have no right to question the hospital on her diagnosis, or what medications she is supposed to take. Trust comes into play, hoping a sick person will not hide things from us. Conspiracies and shame usually lead to aborting pharmicudical regimen.
So how then, do we help the person sitting in dark rooms, peeking around corners, asking questions that have no answers? If modern medicine deems the semi-annual, complete breakdown and incomplete reconstruction of this persons psyche to be passible as treatment, how are we to question it?
It's called guardianship, and it's not pretty. I can't say I'm sane, and I certainly am not maintaining my own affairs, yet one of my only choices to make sure she leads a healthy and happy life, is to go to court and take over as her guardian. I'd have to determine her choices and tell her legally what to do. What gives me that right? She should seek health and happiness by default, but the wiring doesn't allow her to see the ling and short effects of medical treatment... This from a person that technically has more abbreviations before her name than most doctors.
I am unfit, I am not well, I cannot direct someone else to a path I can't find myself. It's easy to say what should be done, but it's quite another to actually execute a plan to help this person.
I am at a loss. Stunted by my comprehension of how the medical community can simply ignore what should be a case study for them. If they don't understand this, then why do they not enquire, and get to know this illness?

No comments:

Post a Comment